Sunday, September 18, 2011

Canoe, Picnic, Three Mile Island

We got a canoe a bit ago. It's small and portable which is good, but it also makes it much less stable than most canoes I've ever been in... which isn't so good. The first time I got it, I took it out with my canoe champion friend on a place in Middletown where the Susquehanna widens out into what they call a lake. We didn't have a lot of time, but we were determined to at least get out on the water. So we got in: me in the back, Brant in front. Brant started reaching for the pier and rocking the boat a bunch and acting like we were about to tip over. I assured him we'd be fine, we'd get used to it, and pushed us away from the pier. I'm not an enabler.

So, after boating around Highspire some, Heather and I tried the pier in Middletown again and, since I've been rowing in the back, I thought I'd try the front. Now, even in the back, there's a fair bit of rock in the boat that's can be scary. Well, in the front, cramped, even a slight rock one way or the other convinced me we were going down, we were headed for soaksville. So, at the pier, right where Brant was telling me that he was unsure of how steady we were, I was leaping for the pier. Leaning on the pier with my arm, butt still in the boat, Heather wondered if I was okay. I was just amazed we hadn't actually tipped over. Heather offered to change seats with me, but I was determined to try the front seat. Maybe as penance for what I know realized was amazing cool-headedness on Brant's part, maybe because I actually thought it'd get better, maybe because I'm stubborn.

Anyway, we made it across the lake, across some tricky rocky areas to a lovely bit of rocks where we picnicked and enjoyed the view of the birds, the lake, the trees, and the nuclear powerplant.

Our wee canoe.




 And a bit of jumping.

And enjoying.
A bit better close up of the plant.


No comments:

Post a Comment